Monday 26 May 2008

Giving up the dry facts and getting creative...

I had looked forward to this bank holiday weekend because I wanted to use it to get on with the book I am supposed to be writing on my mum and in particular the seven years she spent at Brockhall in the sixties. But it's now Monday and, whilst I've read a little on the wider subject, I have struggled to write a complete and coherent sentence. This morning I became enthused at the thought of giving up the biography and writing it instead as a novel. This is because there are far too many emotional knots that are from being unravelled. I can also take some strength from the fact that many other authors have also given up biography or memoir and instead turned to the semi-auto/biographical novel. It also means that more assumed storylines can be added and one doesn't need to be so impartial to the facts. It could also work out because I know very little about her time in Brockhall - the day to day stuff - and because she's from a large family there are so many different perspectives. This way could enable me to do more justice to it. I hope I can be more creative with it whilst also honouring the need I have to give my mum a voice. Some info here on using the novel format instead of what can often be dry factual works.
So I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on because anything is better than writer's block!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com